Are you looking for a vegan twist on a classic comfort food dish? Look no further than this Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff! This plant-based recipe is not only delicious, but it is also gluten-free, making it perfect for those with dietary restrictions.
About the Recipe
Ingredients: This recipe is made with simple and easy-to-find ingredients, such as mushrooms, onions, garlic, vegetable broth, almond milk, and seasonings. By using non-dairy milk, this recipe becomes a great option for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant.
Instructions: Start by sautéing the mushrooms and onions until they are tender. Then, add in the garlic and seasonings, followed by the broth and almond milk. Let the mixture simmer until it thickens, then serve over a bed of your favorite pasta or rice.
This Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is the perfect meal for those looking for a comforting and satisfying dish. With its rich and creamy flavor, it will quickly become a staple in your meal rotation. So, give this recipe a try and experience the ultimate comfort food, now with a vegan twist.
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 8 oz. (225 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. (225 g) wide egg noodles
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes until tender.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, vegetable broth, and flour.
- Pour the mixture over the mushrooms and onions and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened, about 5–7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the stroganoff over the cooked egg noodles and garnish with fresh parsley.
Why you’ll love this Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
- Rich and Creamy Flavor: A combination of non-dairy cream, spices, and mushrooms create a rich and creamy sauce that will leave you satisfied.
- Perfect Meat Substitute: The mushrooms in this recipe add a meaty texture and flavor, making it the perfect substitute for traditional beef stroganoff.
- Simple and Easy to Make: With just a few ingredients and simple steps, this recipe is easy to make and perfect for busy weeknights.
- Vegan and Gluten-Free: This recipe is suitable for both vegan and gluten-free diets, making it an accessible and healthy option for everyone.
- A Versatile Dish: Serve this stroganoff over pasta, rice, or even mashed potatoes for a delicious and comforting meal.
Use fresh mushrooms: Fresh mushrooms will give you the best flavor and texture for this dish. If you can’t find fresh mushrooms, you can use canned or dried mushrooms.
Sauté the mushrooms: Sautéing the mushrooms until they are browned and tender will bring out their flavor and texture. Don’t overcook the mushrooms, or they will become mushy.
Use a good-quality vegan sour cream: A good-quality vegan sour cream will make all the difference in this dish. Look for a vegan sour cream that is thick and creamy, and has a tangy flavor.
Cook the pasta al dente: Cook the pasta al dente, so it has a firm texture that holds up well in the stroganoff. Avoid overcooking the pasta, or it will become mushy and will not hold its shape.
Serve with crusty bread or rice: Serve the stroganoff with crusty bread or rice, to soak up all the delicious sauce. Add a green salad, or steamed vegetables, for a complete meal.
Serving the Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Serve over a bed of steaming hot rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.
- Top with fresh parsley, chives, or any other herbs of your choice for an extra burst of flavor.
- Serve with a side of steamed or roasted vegetables like green beans, asparagus, or carrots.
- Pair with a crusty bread for sopping up the creamy sauce.
- For a complete meal, you can also serve a mixed green salad with a tangy dressing on the side.
FAQs about the Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
Can I use different mushrooms in this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of mushrooms you prefer or have on hand, such as cremini, shiitake, or porcini.
Is it possible to make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, simply use gluten-free flour and pasta to make this recipe gluten-free.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the recipe ahead of time and reheat it before serving. The flavors will develop and intensify over time.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Can I use coconut cream instead of cashew cream?
Yes, you can use coconut cream instead of cashew cream for a creamier texture, though the flavor will be slightly different.