A vegan and plant-based meal that is both healthy and flavorful, this savory and satisfying vegan chickpea and spinach curry is the perfect addition to your dinner table. With its authentic Indian spices and ingredients, this curry is not only delicious but also filling.
About This Recipe
Ingredients for the Vegan Chickpea and Spinach Curry
The ingredients for this recipe include chickpeas, spinach, onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and a mix of Indian spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala. A base of coconut milk or tomato puree gives the curry a creamy texture and adds depth to the flavor.
Instructions for Making the Vegan Chickpea and Spinach Curry
To make the vegan chickpea and spinach curry, start by sautéing the onions, garlic, and ginger until they are soft and fragrant. Then, add the spices and cook for a few minutes until they release their aroma. Next, add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, and spinach to the pan, followed by the coconut milk or tomato puree. Let the curry simmer until the spinach is wilted and the flavors have melded together. Serve the curry hot with a side of rice or bread.
Why You’ll Love this Vegan Chickpea and Spinach Curry
This vegan chickpea and spinach curry is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a plant-based meal. The combination of chickpeas, spinach, and Indian spices makes for a nutritious and filling dinner.
You may also like: Vegan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
Savory and Satisfying Vegan Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rice for serving
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pot and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala and cook for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, and vegetable broth to the pot and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let the curry simmer for 15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by about half.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the curry over rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Pro Tips for Savory and Satisfying Vegan Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- Flavor Boost: To enhance the flavor of this vegan chickpea and spinach curry, add a pinch of garam masala, a teaspoon of turmeric or a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger to the mixture.
- Use Fresh Spinach: Fresh spinach will provide a more vibrant flavor and color compared to frozen spinach.
- Add More Veggies: Feel free to add other vegetables to the curry, such as carrots, bell peppers, or zucchini to make it even more nutritious.
- Customize Your Heat: If you like your curries on the spicier side, add more chili powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper. For a milder flavor, reduce the amount of spices used.
- Serve with Rice or Naan: Serve the vegan chickpea and spinach curry with a side of rice or naan bread to soak up all the delicious sauce.
- Store Leftovers: Leftover curry can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days, or in the freezer for up to three months. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until heated through.
Serving Suggestions for Vegan Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- Rice: Serve the curry over a bed of steamed basmati rice for a filling and satisfying meal.
- Naan Bread: Dip warm naan bread into the curry for a delicious and traditional Indian experience.
- Quinoa: Pair the curry with a serving of fluffy quinoa for added protein and a nutty flavor.
- Salad: Serve the curry with a fresh green salad for a light and crunchy contrast.
- Yogurt: Add a dollop of plain yogurt on top of the curry for added creaminess and tang.
- Can I use frozen spinach instead of fresh spinach in this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen spinach in this recipe. However, the texture may be different from fresh spinach, so keep that in mind.
- Can I use a different type of bean instead of chickpeas?
Yes, you can use other beans such as kidney beans or black-eyed peas, but the flavor will change slightly.
- Can I make this recipe spicier?
Yes, you can add more spices or chili peppers to make the curry spicier.
- Can I freeze this curry for later?
Yes, you can freeze the curry for later. However, the texture of the spinach and chickpeas may change slightly upon reheating.
- Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using a gluten-free alternative to regular flour, such as almond flour or coconut flour.