A Delicious Vegan Alternative. If you’re looking for a delicious and satisfying plant-based burger, then these Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Plant-Based Burgers are a must-try. They are made using wholesome ingredients and packed with bold flavors, making them the perfect alternative to traditional meat-based burgers.
About These Sweet Potato & Black Bean Plant-Based Burgers
These burgers are made using a combination of sweet potatoes and black beans, which are both nutritious ingredients that provide a good source of protein and fiber. The addition of spices like chili powder, cumin, and jalapeno pepper gives these burgers a spicy kick that will tantalize your taste buds.
Inspired by Mexican Cuisine
The combination of sweet potatoes, black beans, and spicy seasonings is inspired by the flavors of Mexican cuisine. These burgers are a great way to bring a taste of Mexico to your kitchen, without having to leave the comfort of your own home.
Easy to Make and Customizable
These Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Plant-Based Burgers are easy to make and can be cooked on the stovetop or in the oven. They can be customized with your favorite toppings and condiments to make them even more delicious. Whether you’re a fan of spicy food or just looking for a tasty vegan burger, these burgers are sure to become a new favorite.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s vegan and plant-based, making it a great option for those who follow a meat-free diet.
- The combination of sweet potatoes and black beans makes for a filling and nutritious burger.
- The addition of spices like chili powder, cumin, and jalapeno pepper gives these burgers a bold and spicy flavor.
- They are easy to make and can be cooked on the stovetop or in the oven.
- The burgers can be customized with your favorite toppings and condiments to make them even more delicious.
You will also love these burgers: Crunchy Chickpea & Mushroom Plant-Based Burgers
Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Plant-Based Burgers
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the diced sweet potato in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mash the black beans with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the cooked sweet potato, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to the bowl with the mashed black beans. Mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape into 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until crispy and browned.
- Transfer the patties to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until fully heated through.
- Serve the burgers on buns with your favorite toppings and condiments.
Pro Tips for the Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Plant-Based Burgers
- Use Fresh Ingredients: Use freshly cooked sweet potatoes and black beans to ensure that your burgers are not mushy.
- Seasoning: Make sure to season the sweet potato and black bean mixture well, as this will enhance the flavor of the burgers.
- Forming the Patties: When forming the patties, make sure to pack them tightly to prevent them from falling apart while cooking.
- Spicy kick: If you want your burgers to be extra spicy, add more chili powder or use a spicier variety of chili pepper.
- Grilling: For the best texture, cook the burgers on a hot grill for a few minutes on each side until crispy and golden brown.
- Buns: Serve the burgers on whole grain buns with your favorite toppings such as avocado, salsa, and vegan cheese.
Serving the Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Plant-Based Burgers
- Burger buns: Toast the buns on a pan or griddle for a crispy texture. You can also place the buns in the oven for a few minutes.
- Condiments: Spread your favorite condiments on the buns, such as vegan mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, or hot sauce.
- Salad greens: Place a handful of fresh lettuce or spinach leaves on the bottom bun.
- Burger patty: Place the plant-based burger patty on top of the salad greens.
- Toppings: Add your favorite toppings, such as sliced avocado, pickled onions, jalapeño peppers, or diced tomatoes.
- Serve: Place the top bun on the burger and serve with your choice of side dish, such as sweet potato fries or a mixed greens salad.
Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers about the Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Plant-Based Burgers recipe
- Can I make these burgers without the spiciness?
Yes, you can adjust the spice level to your preference by reducing or omitting the cayenne pepper.
- Can I use canned black beans instead of cooking them from scratch?
Yes, you can use canned black beans in this recipe. Just make sure to drain and rinse them well before using.
- Can I bake these burgers instead of pan-frying them?
Yes, you can bake these burgers by placing them on a lined baking sheet and cooking them at 375°F for 15-20 minutes on each side, or until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Can I make these burgers ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the burgers ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before cooking. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months and cook them from frozen.