In this recipe, we’ll be making a delicious and healthy vegan main course dish Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry. This recipe is based on Indian food and uses straightforward, healthy ingredients.
About This Recipe
The Benefits of a Plant-Based Meal
By using plant-based ingredients such as chickpeas and sweet potatoes, this recipe is not only delicious but also packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants.
Perfect for a Weeknight Dinner
With a quick preparation time and a relatively short cooking time, this recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner when you’re short on time but still want to eat a healthy and tasty meal.
A Dish that Everyone Will Love
Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or new to plant-based eating, this Vegan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry is a dish that everyone will love. So, let’s get started and see how to make this delicious and healthy meal.
Why Will You Love This Recipe?
- Healthy: Made with wholesome, plant-based ingredients, this dish is a nutritious and satisfying option for those looking to eat healthier.
- Flavorful: The combination of spices and herbs create a bold and delicious flavor that is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
- Quick and easy: With a short preparation time and a quick cook time, this dish is perfect for busy weeknights or last-minute meals.
- Versatile: This recipe can be adapted to suit your taste preferences, making it a great option for those who like to get creative in the kitchen.
- Plant-based: Perfect for vegans, vegetarians, or those looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into their diet.
You may also like: Spicy Chickpea and Sweet Potato Bowls
How to Make Vegan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
Cook the Onion and Garlic: In a large saucepan, heat a little bit of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Then, add the garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
Add the Spices and Grated Ginger: Add the curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, paprika, cumin, and coriander to the saucepan and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Then, add the grated ginger and cook for another minute.
Add the Sweet Potato and Chickpeas: Add the diced sweet potato and chickpeas to the saucepan and stir to combine with the spices. Cook the sweet potato for approximately 5 minutes, or until just barely tender.
Add the Crushed Tomatoes and Vegetable Broth: Pour the crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth into the saucepan and stir to combine with the other ingredients. To fully cook the sweet potato and thicken the sauce, bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potato is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
Season and Serve: Taste the curry and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve the curry hot, garnished with fresh cilantro, over a bed of rice or with some naan bread.
Pro Tips for Vegan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
- Adjust the spices to your taste: This recipe includes a blend of Indian spices, but feel free to add more or less of each spice according to your taste.
- Use fresh ingredients: Using fresh ingredients such as ginger and garlic can enhance the flavor of this dish.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until soft: Make sure to cook the sweet potatoes until they are soft and tender. This will ensure that the sweet potatoes will break down and thicken the sauce as it cooks.
- Use a good-quality coconut milk: A high-quality coconut milk will add creaminess to the dish and help to balance the spices.
- Serve with rice or bread: Serve this vegan chickpea and sweet potato curry with a side of rice or some fresh bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
- Top with fresh herbs: Fresh herbs such as cilantro or basil can add a bright, fresh flavor to this dish.
To serve this Vegan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry, you can do the following:
- Scoop the curry into serving bowls.
- Serve the curry hot with rice, naan, or any other type of bread.
- Top the curry with fresh cilantro, chopped scallions, or other herbs for added flavor and color.
- Accompany the curry with a side of your choice, such as a fresh green salad or roasted vegetables.
Vegan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional for garnish)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric, paprika, garam masala, and cayenne pepper to the saucepan. Stir everything together.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Season the curry with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the curry with rice and garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes, this Vegan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry can be made ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- Is this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten-free.
- Can I use other vegetables instead of sweet potatoes in this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute sweet potatoes with other vegetables such as butternut squash, carrots, or eggplant.
- How spicy is this recipe?
You can change the amount of chili and spices in this recipe to suit your preferred level of heat.
- Can I make this recipe lower in fat?
To make this recipe lower in fat, you can use low-fat coconut milk or omit it altogether and use vegetable broth instead.
- Can this recipe be made in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can use a slow cooker to prepare this recipe. Simply sauté the onion and spices in a pan and then transfer everything to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.